Monday, September 20, 2010

Trip to Chicago!

Yesterday marked my first trip to Chicago (besides the Airport). One of the students at my school had seen an advertisement for a free concert the Chicago Symphony Orchestra was playing in Millenium Park. So six of us decided to drive up to Chicago to see it.There was Leah (piano, from Canada), Misun (piano, Korea), Kaori (Japan), Anton (piano, Russia), Jeremy (trombone, US) and me. These are some of the friends I have made at school. Our initial plan to take a train did not work out due to construction, so we had to take a car, which did turn out to be cheaper :)

Since we had a little time before the concert we went on a little shopping spree. I was very tempted to get a scarf, but decided against that since I have been told I own too many. I got a necklace instead! :)


The park was completely full by the time we got there, so at first we were not able to see anything of the orchestra. During the intermission we then walked around a little until we found a wonderful spot to stand, where we could see and hear really well.







So this is where we ended up for the second half of the concert. Riccardo Muti was conducting the orchestra. First they played a Verdi Ouverture, then Les Preludes by Liszt. The second half started off with Tchaikovsky's Romeo and Juliet and the concert ended with Respighi's Pines of Rome. Although there were about 25000 people there and it was out in the open it was almost silent in the crowd. I think I had goosebumps the entire time. The solos in the Pines of Rome were incredibly beautiful! They played with such suspense, it was as if the crowd was holding their breath. I am still amazed at the effect music can have when it is played like that! It is always so motivating to hear wonderful performers like that.





After the concert we met up with a couple who know Leah, live in Chicago and had also been at the concert. They showed us a really good Italian restaurant where we all had dinner together before heading back to South Bend.



I had such a wonderful time and I hope to have the chance to go to another concert soon. Although we didn't get back until quite late it was worth every minute of sleep I lost :)

3 comments:

  1. Windy city...yay! Glad you were able to go. I'm sure anything the Chicago Symphony plays sounds incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to learn about your time in Chicago and at the concert!! Happy to meet your "little friends". Keep focused. Masa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, sounds like a cool concert!!
    Pines of Rome, you've seen those :)

    ReplyDelete